Thursday 16 February 2012

Spiced Tomato and Potato Stew: Salmon or Butterbean



Salmon Stew

I was on my way to my mum’s house this evening expecting a night off from cooking and looking forward to a feast. I called on my way to check if I could pick anything up.  It turns out she wasn’t home yet, was exhausted after a stressful day and hadn’t even thought about cooking. I let myself in with the spare key and had a rummage in the fridge. I saw two lightly smoked salmon fillets, tomatoes and a sack of potatoes on the side. A quick trip to the local shop for a few more ingredients and I had everything I needed for this stew. The Vegetarian soon arrived asking what was on the menu. After locating a tin of butterbeans in the cupboard I adapted the recipe for him too (he eats more than the average person so this would normally serve two vegetarians).

Serves: 2 vegetarians, 2 pescatarians

1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
3 medium tomatoes, skinned and quartered
Juice of half lemon
Handful parsley, chopped
Handful coriander, chopped
Olive oil

P: 2 salmon fillets, skin removed, cut into large chunks
V: 1 tin of butterbeans, drained

In a large pan heat the cayenne pepper, cumin and paprika in a little olive oil for a minute or until fragrant. Add the potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, lemon juice and cover with water (about 2 litres). Bring to the boil, cover and turn down to simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Divide between two pans.

P: Add the salmon to one pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
V: Add the butterbeans to the other pan and simmer for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with coriander and parsley before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment